This recipe seems to be no-fail, our family has been making it for a very long time and it always turns out perfect, rich and chocolaty good. My husband made the pie above and used a ready made crust.
- 2- 9″ baked pie shell
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 1 oz. squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tea vanilla
- In medium saucepan combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt.
- In a bowl beat milk, egg yolks until smooth. Gradually stir into sugar mixture.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture comes to a full boil, boil one minute.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate, butter and vanilla; stir thoroughly.
- Pour into baked pie shells.
- Cover pies with plastic wrap to prevent film forming. Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Top with fresh whip cream.
The chocolate filling can be also be served as a pudding.