Delicate buttery cookie with a slightly sweetened flavor.
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (do not use margarine)
- 2 tablespoons egg white
- 1 tea water
- Edible flowers (viola’s, scented geraniums, or other edible flowers)
- Mix flour and sugar with a fork, cut in the butter and blend till the mixture begins to gather together. Form into a ball and knead until smooth.
- Roll dough into a 7-8″ circle on an un-greased cookie sheet.
- With your thumb make a scalloped pattern on the edge of the dough. Partially cut wedges (making 8 or 12 pieces) into the circle.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until bottom just starts to brown.
- Cut wedges while still warm. Cool before adding flowers.
- Combine egg whites and water. Brush tops of wedges with egg mixture.
- Place flowers on top of the shortbread and press in place, add more of the egg white mixture. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 5 minutes.